Friday, January 26, 2007

Why eclectic? Why experiment?

Eclecticism is a conceptual approach that does not hold rigidly to a single paradigm or set of assumptions, but instead draws upon multiple theories, styles, or ideas to gain complementary insights into a subject, or applies different theories in particular cases.


It can be inelegant, and eclectics are sometimes criticised for lack of consistency in their thinking, but it is common in many fields of study. For example, most psychologist accept parts of behaviorist, but do not attempt to use the theory to explain all aspects of human behavior. A statistician may use frequentist techniques on one occasion and Bayesian ones on another.

An experiment, in the scientific method , is a set of actions and observations, performed in the context of solving a particular problem or question, to support or falsify a hypothesis or research concerning phenomena.

(wikipedia)

Why experiment? Blogging is new to me. I am experimenting with something new, something almost, but not quite, alien. I have a hypothesis. I hypothesize that I can learn to put my thoughts out in a fairly interesting way. No, that's crap. My real hypothesis is that I'll fail miserably because my typing skills are so inferior and I don't organize my thoughts well in writing. Out loud I can think.. typing I get frustrated. So this is my experiment. Will I succeed or fail?

Why eclectic? Because I want to live without prejudging every idea or the person spouting the idea. I don't mind being "inelegant" or even inconsistant, but I don't want to be rigid.

Welcome to my life.

Note: I've already edited this post three times. Not a good start. :-P

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh honey, if you are only editing three times before posting, you are a far superior human being to me! LOL!

What a great opening. I LOVE this (but of course I would):

Why eclectic? Because I want to live without prejudging every idea or the person spouting the idea. I don't mind being "inelegant" or even inconsistant, but I don't want to be rigid.

That is so well put!

Welcome to the blogosphere~ You belong here.

Love,
Julie

Karen said...

Wow! I'm so impressed. You've really done a great job. I have mine all ready - just haven't written anything or taken any pictures. Kind of par.

So you are miles ahead -- and it's very you. I'll try to keep visiting.
Love,
Karen

carrie said...

This is so fun! Comments and everything! :-D

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Ampersand said...

Carrie, if I helps, I can never seem to find my typos or grammar errors until after I publish, often more than one time!